Preparing for the storm
Supplies Recommended for Storm Preparation
Because of the possible lack of clean water and power outages following a storm, you may need supplies to keep your family safe and happy following a disaster. Storms may also cause limited access to your vehicles, roadways and stores.
Be prepared and stock up on everything you might need NOW before the storm arrives. Be certain to:
- Prepare an emergency water supply
- Prepare an emergency food and medicine supply
- Gather safety items
- Gather personal items
Prepare an emergency water supply
- Have at least 5 gallons of water per person (which should be enough to last 3 to 5 days)
- Gather clean containers for water.
- Get supplies to make your drinking water safe (like iodine tablets or chlorine bleach).
- Learn how to safely store your water supply.
- Learn how to make your drinking water safe for use.
Prepare an emergency food and medicine supply
- Gather a 3 to 5 day supply of food that won’t spoil such as canned foods.
- If needed, stock up on baby food or formula.
- Gather any prescription medicines.
Gather safety items, including:
- First aid kit and instructions
- Fire extinguisher
- Battery-powered radio and flashlight with extra batteries
- Sleeping bags, pillows and extra blankets
Gather personal care products, including:
- Hand sanitizer and soap
- Wet cleaning cloths (like baby wipes) in case you don’t have clean water
- Tampons and pads
Tip: Store all of these items together in a place that’s easy to locate.