Water Damage Clean-Up Tips
Hot water tanks, toilet overflows, dishwasher leaks, pipe leaks, roof leaks, refrigerator line leaks are just a few of water leaks we can help with.
IF WATER DAMAGE OCCURS, TIPS FOR CLEAN-UP
Shut off the main water valve, if practical, and call a plumber to fix the leak. Call an IICRC Certified professional (SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge & SERVPRO of Woodgridge/Lorton are certified) immediately for mitigation services, as required by your insurance policy. IICRC Certified professionals have the knowledge, experience and equipment to locate water wherever it goes, remove the excess, and dry your structure to industry standards. The first goal is to prevent slip/fall hazards. If the burst pipe is overhead, drain ceiling cavities by punching “weep” holes. Revised_013019
Prevent mold growth by acting immediately. Although it takes a few days to appear, mold thrives on wood, paper, particle board or even household soil, when stagnant air, moisture, and temperatures between 68°F and 86°F degrees are present. Wet clothing usually is salvageable. A 10-minute wash cycle in detergent and hot water should sanitize washable clothing and many household fabrics.
Make sure to dry out before you rebuild. IICRC Certified professionals have a variety of instruments to determine when a building is dry, to prevent on-going microbial growth. Drying should not stop until wood or drywall moisture content (MC) falls below 16% MC. Normal MC is around 10% in most areas of the country. Revised_013019 An IICRC Certified Firm like SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge & SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton can help you through this process.
PREPARE for Hurricanes
SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge & SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton are always here to help with all of your storm clean-up needs. 703-583-8484
Prepare for Hurricanes
Know Your Hurricane Risk
Hurricanes are not just a coastal problem. Find out how rain, wind, water and even tornadoes could happen far inland from where a hurricane or tropical storm makes landfall. Start preparing now.
Make an Emergency Plan
Make sure everyone in your household knows and understands your hurricane plans. Include the office, kids’ day care, and anywhere else you frequent in your hurricane plans. Ensure your business has a continuity plan to continue operating when disaster strikes.
Know your Evacuation Zone
You may have to evacuate quickly due to a hurricane if you live in an evacuation zone. Learn your evacuation routes, practice with your household and pets, and identify where you will stay.
- Follow the instructions from local emergency managers, who work closely with state, local, tribal, and territorial agencies and partners. They will provide the latest recommendations based on the threat to your community and appropriate safety measures.
Recognize Warnings and Alerts
Have several ways to receive alerts. Download the FEMA app and receive real-time alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five locations nationwide. Sign up for community alerts in your area and be aware of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA), which require no sign up.
Those with Disabilities
Identify if you may need additional help during an emergency if you or anyone else in your household is an individual with a disability.
Review Important Documents
Make sure your insurance policies and personal documents, such as ID, are up to date. Make copies and keep them in a secure password-protected digital space.
Strengthen your Home
De-clutter drains and gutters, bring in outside furniture, and consider hurricane shutters.
Get Tech Ready
Keep your cell phone charged when you know a hurricane is in the forecast and purchase backup charging devices to power electronics.
Help your Neighborhood
Check with neighbors, senior adults, or those who may need additional help securing hurricane plans to see how you can be of assistance to others
Have enough supplies for your household, include medication, disinfectant supplies and pet supplies in your go bag or car trunk. You may not have access to these supplies for days or even weeks after a hurricane.
Safety in Commercial Buildings
ICC - International Code Council is an organization that monitors building codes & standards to provide the highest level of safety in the world.
Building Safety Month—is an initiative of the International Code Council (ICC) and their 64,000 member’s across the world, as well as their partners in building construction and design, and the safety community. Building Safety Month is an opportunity to educate insurance and commercial property professionals, as well as the general public, on “what it takes to create safe, resilient, affordable, and energy efficient homes and buildings,” according to the ICC website. Some of the topics and tips shared throughout the month include Disaster Safety and Mitigation, as well as Fire Safety and Awareness. The general public may not be aware how codes and code officials “improve and protect the places where we live, learn, work, worship, and play,” and this month can certainly improve that awareness!
IMPORTANT TIPS FROM THE ICC Disaster Safety & Mitigation:
- If you live in a high wind or hurricane prone area and do not have tested and code-approved shutters for protection from windborne debris, consider temporarily protecting your doors and windows by mounting exterior grade, 7/16" minimum thickness plywood and fastening it into place. Visit www.flash.org for detailed instructions on how to use plywood for emergency board-up.
- Consider building or retrofitting to create a tornado-safe room in your home. Follow ICC/ NSSA 500 Standard for detailed construction information and to ensure you achieve the highest level of protection for your family.
- In wildfire prone areas, remove fine (dead grass, leaves, etc.) and coarse fuels (dead twigs, branches, etc.) within 30 feet of a building to create a survivable space in case of wildfire. Be sure to remove dry leaf and pine litter from roofs, rain gutters, decks, and walkways. Follow ICC’s International Wildland-Urban Interface Code® for detailed requirements.
- Flooded roads could have significant damage hidden by floodwaters. Never drive through floodwaters or on flooded roads. Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream. It takes only six inches of fast flowing water to sweep you off your feet and two feet of water to move an SUV-sized vehicle.
A flood can happen without warning from many different kinds of weather. SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge & Woodbridge/Lorton are #heretohelp .
PREPARE FOR A FLOOD
Flooding is a temporary overflow of water onto land that is normally dry. Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States. Failing to evacuate flooded areas or entering flood waters can lead to injury or death.
- Result from rain, snow, coastal storms, storm surges and overflows of dams and other water systems.
- Develop slowly or quickly. Flash floods can come with no warning.
- Cause outages, disrupt transportation, damage buildings and create landslides.
If you are under a flood warning:
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Remember, just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Depending on the type of flooding:
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
OUR TEAM is Why You Want to Choose SERVPRO
We are always HERE TO HELP!
Our team is the main reason you want to choose SERVPRO for your restoration needs! Our office staff has ten plus years of experience and they are all water damage certified through the IICRC. This means that they can answer a lot of your questions and submit your estimates with experience and knowledge.
Our production team are certified in water, fire, mold and bio-hazard and have five plus years of experience in the industry.
Our production managers also have ten plus years of experience so when they are on-sight doing estimates or walk-throughs you are in solid, knowledgeable hands.
Our whole team is uniformed and background checked to give you peace of mind with us in your home or building. More than all of our certifications and screenings, we care. Our team cares about our clients and their property. We will treat your home or business as if it were our own. You can TRUST SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge and the SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton with all of your restoration needs!
FASTER to any size Disaster
Too much soap can cause an overflow. We are always here to help with big or small water losses.
There’s no such thing as a small disaster – especially when the water you don’t see contains bacteria or can cause mold, rot, and other unseen damage. Water damage can affect the value of your property. Before you get out the mop bucket and try to clean it yourself, consider how the damage can affect your property.
SERVPRO Dale City/Lake Ridge knows how disruptive water damage can be for your business. We are trained and equipped to manage the drying process. Using proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which will help prevent secondary water damages. With rapid response time and full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO Dale City/Lake Ridge can help you regain control quickly, ensuring your facility and its contents are property dried, deodorized and protected.
When fire or water take control of your life, we help you take it back.
Before you risk further damaging the value of your facility by attempting to clean up the mess yourself, call our office at 703-583-8484.
Smoke Loss is Complex
Smoke from a fire loss goes in every cavity of the property. Trust SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge to get you back to preloss condition.
A fire loss can result in complex damages because of the unique behavior of smoke. A trained professional should survey the loss site to determine the extent to which fire, smoke, heat and moisture impacted building materials and contents.
SERVPRO Dale City/Lake Ridge Professionals know smoke can penetrate various cavities within the structure, causing hidden damage and odor. Our crew’s knowledge of building systems helps them investigate how far smoke damage may have spread. Here are some facts you may not know about smoke:
· Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
· Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
· The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
The different types of Smoke:
Wet Smoke (Plastic and Rubber)
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke (Paper and Wood)
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue (Produced by evaporation of a material rather than from a fire)
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Fuel Oil Soot (Furnace Puff Backs)
While “puff backs” can create havoc for homeowners, SERVPRO Dale City/Lake Ridge Professionals can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
SERVPRO Dale City/Lake Ridge Professionals are trained to handle even the toughest losses. If your home or business sustains fire or smoke damage, contact us at 703-583-8484 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Our Commercial Services…Where No Job is Too Big or Too Small
Whether the damage occurs in a small business building, a senior facility, an apartment complex, or a big box store, we have the training, experience,
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. Our team at SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge and SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton has the resources and more than 17 years of expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Senior Facilities
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- FASTER: With more than 1,900 U.S. and Canadian franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned throughout the nation to be faster to any-sized disaster.
- READY: SERVPRO is always ready to help when disaster strikes but also knows the importance of ensuring home and business owners are “Ready for whatever happens.”
- PROOF: Science of Drying was developed out of the need to further validate the drying process and use more precise documentation on defining when a structure is dry.
- HERE TO HELP: Communication is the most important part of the process to keep everyone informed during cleanup and restoration. We accomplish this through the Here to Help Connection process.
Our team responds quickly to your northern Virginia fire, water, or mold damage emergency, 24 hours a day. Whether the damage occurs in a small business building, a senior facility, an apartment complex, or a big box store, we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle the situation. Our network of 1,900 Franchises gives us access to trained restoration technicians and resources to respond to any size restoration emergency.
How Will I Know Which Water Restoration Firm Is Best for My Northern Virginia Business Needs?
As a northern Virginia business owner, when you suffer a water loss, the impact amplifies as your employees, customers, and the community absorb the consequences. At a stressful time, you may feel the pressure of many others who rely on you to make the right decision when selecting from a list of water restorers.
What Should I Focus On When Comparing Companies?
Focus on the restoration company’s training, equipment, experience, response time, and scalability when deciding which northern Virginia water restoration company you should select to help with your specific needs.
Things to consider include:
- Is their workforce trained through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), the international standards-setting organization?
- Has the company invested in sufficient inventories of state-of-the-art water extraction and drying equipment, and the tools to locate trapped water that migrated from the initial loss site?
- Do the company’s management team and crew members have significant experience in commercial losses, including creative and sustainable ways to permit at least partial operations during restoration efforts?
- How quickly can the company arrive with experienced project managers, restoration technicians, and equipment to begin assessment, planning, and emergency services?
- Can the company mobilize resources with affiliated restoration firms to increase the number of work crews and the quantities of specialized equipment in the event of a catastrophic and more extensive loss than typical?
Is Preplanning for Commercial Disasters Available and Recommended?
Our marketing team at SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge and SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton urges commercial customers to reach out to us long before water restoration is needed. We can work with you to develop a collaborative plan that permits our team to hit the ground running in reaction to a water loss event at your facility. Our Emergency READY Profile and Plan (ERP) enables us to gain a critical understanding of your layout and operations, ensuring our response is individualized and swift. We are prepared to help commercial customers of any size with water restoration concerns before a crisis and after the worst occurs. Call us at 703-583-8484 to explore how we can work together to get you back in business as quickly as possible.
Commercial Carpet Cleaning Services for the Northern Virginia Area
Deciding when is the best time to have your commercial property carpets professionally cleaned is a debatable topic for most business owners and property managers. Basing this decision on the amount of foot traffic your company sees daily could help determine when it is time to have your property serviced. However, there are several more factors to take into consideration.
Despite the potential to track in water and dirt, your carpets may stay cleaner for an extended amount of time in the fewer traffic periods since they will not accumulate as many allergens. During the warmer months, pollen, dust, and airborne pollutants enter your business through open doors and windows. If you did not have your carpets cleaned in the fall, that contamination makes an unhealthy indoor environment. When you seal everything up for winter months and keep doors and windows closed, everything stays trapped inside, and your carpet holds it all, adding to the polluted air. Professional cleaning of the carpets in your business reduces and eliminates those spring and summer pollutants and makes it easier for your employees to breathe when they are inside.
Faster Carpet Drying
It is easy to believe that freshly cleaned carpets dry faster in the warmer weather, but that’s not always true. Carpets may dry slightly quicker in the winter due to lower humidity that helps moisture evaporate more quickly. Professional carpet cleaners, such as our team at SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge and SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton, also have high-powered fans to allow quicker drying so you can enjoy your clean carpets and revel in the warmth and insulation they bring to colder months.
Holds the Value Longer
Regular professional cleaning extends the life of your carpet. Even if you can’t see the stains, soil, and pollutants on your carpet, there’s a tremendous amount you do not see that is slowly but surely wearing away at your carpet.
Cleanliness Impresses Your Clients
You have heard of the saying, “Dress to Impress.” Well, the same goes for how your company looks to your current or potential clients. With your lobby being where people enter and exit your business, chances are it is also one of the highest traffic areas in your facility. As a result, the floor and carpet in your lobby gather even more soil and grime than other business areas. To ensure you are generating the best impression possible, make certain you clean high traffic areas more often than other areas.
SERVPRO of Dale City/Lake Ridge and SERVPRO of Woodbridge/Lorton offers state-of-the-art equipment that our highly trained professionals handle to get the job done right. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.